Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Poem: The Parade of Injustice

Poem: Parade of Injustice
By: Veverly Edwards
www.veverlymyers.com

I wonder now, as I am pushed and shoved forward
                Did I once stand by the side with averted eyes?
                Refusing to look up, can’t be a witness
                Or maybe afraid that humanity may strike me
               
                As I looked on the crowd, searching for a familiar face
                I thought I saw one, but the jerk of a head
                Roll of eyes, and a twisted face
                They didn’t want to be identified

                And so onward I moved, and out of sheer exhaustion
                I shouted “Don’t you see what they’ve done?”
                Then suddenly a lady in the parade scorned me
                “What are you doing? They don’t care”

                “But if they heard me, if they saw me,” I said
                “Do you think they are blind?” she replied
                As I looked around, I saw the signs
                Innocent convicted, Guilty set free

                Oh, I see a Christian, I see a Christian
                How excited I was, and then to my surprise
                Their glare vexed my spirit, I started to despair
                But the spirit reminded me, Of My Lord, My God
               
                As I looked ahead, the line was thinning
                For a moment, I thought we were progressing
                As I approached the turn, I saw onlookers waving
                Give it up! Let it go! Move on!

                People were leaving, they were worn and tired
                And I said to the Lord, “Please can I go?”
                But instead he made me a promise
” I will never forsake you”
So in the parade I stayed.


No comments:

Post a Comment